Update: The South Mountain Special
Boxcar will be expanding our premium bus service to Short Hills, Millburn, Maplewood , and South Orange. Introducing the “SOUTH MOUNTAIN SPECIAL!”
- Boxcar has added two new "Express Routes" that depart from Short Hills/Millburn (7:05 AM) and one that departs from South Orange/Maplewood (7:15 AM)- please excuse the times being backward on the app for the 7:15 bus, it is a bug we are currently fixing so please refer to the times on the app
- A new 5:25 AM bus serving all 4 pick up locations
- A new evening schedule with an added bus
- Evening drop-offs will remain in "reverse order" from morning, as in the first drop after leaving the city will be Short Hills, followed by Millburn, Maplewood, and South Orange. This is currently necessary to get our buses back into the city to make their second evening runs, but we will be looking at it VERY CLOSELY and may make modifications soon.
- Maplewood's evening drop off will now be the corner of Valley St and Oakview Ave to minimize the total time of the return route.
Our schedule is below:
Through February Boxcar will be keeping tickets $9.99 ($14.99 without membership). Tickets can be purchased in the left-hand menu of the app or here.
Membership costs $29.99/month so a membership pays for itself after just 2 round-trips in a single month.
All pickup locations are detailed in the app and are also below:
Boxcar’s morning route will drop throughout Midtown as detailed below:
Our evening pickups will take place along Lexington and 42nd as shown below: South Mountain Special Evening Pickup Locations
If you have any questions please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or text (908) 206-4633 and a Boxcar concierge will respond as soon as we are able (usually less than 5 minutes during commuting hours)
Buses offer reserved seating, so you must have a ticket for a particular time in order to board. You can cancel for a full credit up to two hours in advance (members can cancel up to 20 minutes in advance). For many other common questions, and their answers, please visit our FAQ. All buses are equipped with Wi-Fi, power outlets, and bathrooms onboard. Riders can track the GPS location of their evening buses here.
In railroad terms, a "special" typically refers to a train service that is not part of the regular schedule or a regular route, but if we find enough support for this route we will make it permanent - this is an area that we know well and would be interested in serving long-term.