What is Boxcar.com?
Boxcar is the first multi-lot, commission-free domain auction platform for buyers, sellers, brokers and end-users. Buy and sell multiple domains - up to 100 names in a single auction.
Boxcar is also the first to allow you to hold a live auction. BC is Escrow.com and Paypal API integrated, interactive, free from software. It is for brokers and domainers and investors and registrars alike. In short, Boxcar makes it easy for anyone to buy and sell multiple names...like the big boys. Commission-free.
Registration is fast, easy and gives you full access to our buying and selling tools for a full year (365 days from registration date). And as a BC member, you can bid and buy, list and sell and there are no extra or hidden contracts, commissions or fees beyond a flat-fee per name to list.
For more details, answers, terms and info, please review our Bidders Kit (.pdf) - explains the process from A-to-Z for all new members.
- Open a Boxcar membership account or login
- Enter your maximum bid, noting minimum bid increment.
- Confirm your binding bid
A bid will be placed at the increment indicated. Your max bid will only be reached if someone places a higher bid. You will be advised via email when this occurs.
- Any bids received within the last two (2) minutes will automatically extend the auction an additional two (2) minutes.
When sellers create an auction, they select their payment options: PayPal, Escrow.com or Both. We recommend all bidders set up an account with one or both.
Once the auction you are bidding in closes, you will be notified via email. To complete your purchase, follow these steps:
- Login and go to My Boxcar > Won
- Click the Pay Now button
- Select your payment option
- After payment option is selected, the transaction is created via Escrow.com or PayPal.
- It is then up to buyer and seller to initiate the transfer and complete ownership exchange. Members can communicate via username in ‘My Mailcar’.
Payment via Escrow.com or PayPal is due within five (5) business days of auction closing. Please make sure to submit your payment as soon as possible to expedite process.
Please note that it is Boxcar policy that, by default, the BUYER pays any escrow fees unless otherwise noted in the auction description or other terms agreeable to seller prior to auction conclusion.
Boxcar is designed to simplify the creation, management and execution of multiple lot domain names auctions. Sell a single name…or fifty.
For more details, tips, terms and info, please review our Sellers Kit (.pdf) - explains the process from A-to-Z for all new sellers.
- Open a Boxcar membership account or login
- Click Create Auction
- Choose the type of auction you would like to run
- Single Domain
- Multiple Domain - up to 100 names
- Create your auction by entering and adding as much information as possible such as descriptions, screenshot if a site, price, bid increment, etc... For multiple lot auctions, you can enter them individually or bulk upload using our Excel template.
- Pick your dates (60 days max)
Boxcar auctions go through four (4) stages: Beta, Preview, Open, Closed. Maximum total auction time (preview+open) is 60 days.
- Beta – Auction is not public. Seller can review and make changes/edits. Beta is open from the moment you create the auction until your Preview opens
- Preview – Auction is now public but editable by the seller. Members can review and add names to their Watchlist but cannot bid on any names. Sellers can still add names and make changes.
- Open – Auction is now open for bids to all active members. If it is a multiple lot auction, the names will close at the pre-set interval. Sellers cannot make changes once the auction Opens.
- Closed – Auction/name is closed. Invoices for won names are sent to winners with payment options selected.
- Bid Increment:
Boxcar is one of the first to allow you to set your own minimum bid increment for each name in your auction. For example, a high priced name might have a higher increment then a low one.
- Embed code:
You can add any embed or API code such as Twitter or Facebook widgets or a YouTube video or a live feed, a flash intro or presentation or just an image. Sky is the limit, use the space to add and attract to your auction, make it viral. Misuse will result in severe penalties.
- Auction Type:
You can hold a TIMED or a MANUAL auction. If Timed, choose the interval between your name closings. If Manual, you will be able to close them manually beginning at the CLOSE auction time selected. You then have 24 hours to close them or they auto-close.
If you are holding a lot auction, you must designate your ‘interval’ – the time between the end of names in the auction. For example, if set it to “10 minutes”, all the domains in your auction will close ten minutes apart.
* Keep in mind auctions get extended by two minutes by any bids in the last two minutes.
- Payment Gateways:
We have automated the payment process, all you need is a PayPal and an Escrow.com account. This option asks you to select which gateway or gateways to allow your buyers to use if they win. We highly suggest you open an account with both and offer both to buyers. BUYER is responsible for fees.
- Featured Options:
There are FOUR ways to make your auction stand out. You can BOLD the title, HIGHLIGHT the background and/or add a BORDER. Finally, you can include your domains on the elft side of the HOME page. Choose one or all four, prices vary for each type.
1. Download the Excel template (.xls). The first row is pre-filled as a sample.
2. Add your domain names, noting REQUIRED fields. Do not include dollar sign ($) or cents (.00) or commas (,) in any of the fields.
b. Minimum Bid - must be at least one dollar ($1)
c. Minimum Increment
b. Reserve Price
c. Buy it Now Price
Reserve Price - If you do not enter a value/leave blank, the name will be listed as NO RESERVE. Do not enter zero (0) or you will receive an error.
3. Double-check and review, make sure all required fields are filled.
4. Click on SAVE AS in Excel a CSV (comma delimited). Make certain it is a .csv file.
5. Login to your Boxcar account.
6. Click SELL DOMAINS and select MULTIPLE LOT.
7. First item on multi-lot auction form asks whether you want to bulk upload. Select YES and then BROWSE for the file on your desktop.
8. Fill in the rest of your auction information including preview and open and close times plus the intervals you would like the names to close at or manual, if chosen.
9. Click SAVE AUCTION and pay securely via PayPal.
Two options: You can share individual names or all your auctions at once.
For individual names, simply add it to boxcar.com/www.NAME.com This will redirect right to the auction for that name but note it MUST include 'www' on your name to work properly.
Or you can share your Boxcar URL - a profile page containing all the auctions you are currently running. Your Boxcar page can be found and shared by adding your username to boxcar.com/. Or for example, boxcar.com/USERNAMEYou can edit and enhance your Boxcar URL by going to My Boxcar > My Boxcar URL
Once the auction is closed and the name has been won, Buyers are sent notice to login and pay for the purchase using the gateway options you provided. You can login and view or download (Excel) your sales here:
Once PayPal invoice is paid or Escrow.com transaction created, it is up to you to contact buyer and initiate ownership transfer.
BXC policy is for seller to transfer name to buyer within two (2) business days of payment submission
If you have ten names in an auction and two sell, you can relist the other eight names with a single click.
Login to your Boxcar and go to My Boxcar > Didn't Sell
Click the RELIST button to pay and start your auction. Please note that the auction will go into PREVIEW mode so you can edit and change names, dates, etc as needed.
Non-paying bidders and sellers who do not complete agreements will be subject to harsh penalties and fees, including, but not limited to:
- Monetary penalties
- Account deletion
- Site ban
Bottom line is if you came here to make half-commitments, you will be dealt with severe brevity. We suggest you go elsewhere, this site is for serious buyers, serious sellers – with a group of highly qualified domainers overseeing, managing it all.
For more information, please visit the HELP section for common queries.